*Virtual reality, 360-degree videos, social networks, video games that look like movies and movies that resemble video games:
I think that most of the entertainment`s world nowadays has become monstrous and it is no longer just eyes` illusion, but often illusion of the mind.
I do not know about you but personally, among all these innovation`s turbines, I find myself still attracted by ancient methods and tools which continue to fascinate me. Some time ago I came across a phenakistoscope (also spelled as phenakistiscope or phenakitiscope or phantasmascope or phantascope), an antique optical instrument that displays animated images (practically current animated gif) invented in 1832 by Joseph Plateau. I then found some scans of these circles on the Internet and I began to digitally animate them. After a few attempts, I started to combine these animations trying to create something original and unpublished. Eventually, in order to stay on, I created a stop motion with paper toys from nineteenth-century that open and close the video. The music was carefully crafted by Al-Maranca.
The result of all this work is called "L'illusion de Joseph" in honour of Joseph Plateau, inventor of phenakistoscope.
Created and Directed by Pask D'Amico
for Klesha production kleshaproduction.com
Music by Al-Maranca in “Il ballo della coccinella sul panno bianco” (A.Maranca)
Special thanks to Luca Spennato for photography supervision
- Nominations Monstra International Super Shorts Competition (Lisbon, Portugal,2017)
- Animarte (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 2017) - Honorable Mention
- Euroshorts Film Competition (Cracovia, Poland, 2016)
- Moving Image Arts (Toronto, Canada, 2017)
- IFFC (India, 2017)
- Multivision (Russia 2017) - Special mention for modern adaptation of antique technologies
- Vimeo Staff pick (2016)
- Une nuit sur toile Blanche (France 2017)
- 9th Lahore International Children's Film Festival (Pakistan 2017)
- Caostica 15 (Spain 2017)
- VAFI - International Children and Youth Animation Festival (Croatia 2017)
- Moving_Image_Arts Internat
ional Short Film Festival (Canada 2017)
- Andorra Kids'Film Festival (Spain 2016)
- The James Museum (Florida 2016)